Monday, January 02, 2006

Your First Chaunakah - Celebrated More as a Christmas

We just returned from Hawaii...ten fun filled days spent in the sand and under the Hawaiian sun. It was quite nice. Highlights included snorkeling at a coral reef, finding an almost deserted beach and playing in the ocean, witnessing the power of a volcano close up and generally being in a warm, humid, flower-filled paradise.

The snorkeling was truly amazing. I'd never done it before and, to be honest, I was scared out of my mind! I'm not sure why, I've always been a strong swimmer and I LOVE spending time in the ocean but, for some reason, being able to SEE the bottom had my entirely creeped out. However, once I actually got in the water, put on my goggles and checked it out I was in awe of how wonderful of an experience this was. All the fish and urchins and what not just hanging out, snacking among the coral, the sunlights coming through the waves was beautiful. It was both the most relaxing and exhilerating thing I did in Hawaii. Drew attempted some underwater shots with a disposal camera...hopefully some will turn out.

Meyer, surprisingly, didn't seem to care for my swimming too much. Maybe it was because I was being active but as soon as I hit the water he would stop moving. I thought it would be a thrill for him but, nope, nothing. Conversely, he was a ball of activity on the plane rides. Constant movement, more than I had ever felt from him up until that time, the whole way there and back. Maybe the pressure was making his feel weird or something. *shrugs* Who knows?

One of the most shocking parts of the trip was, for the first time, people (strangers) actually recognizing that I'm pregnant. There was a barista in Starbucks one night after a big meal who looked at me, smiled and ever so kindly said, "are you due soon?" When I replied no she continued, "are you having multiples?" I just smiled and said no all the meanwhile freaking out in my head that there is something wrong with Meyer or me because I'm freakishly HUGE at 5 months. A few days later, when our flight was leaving Kona and I was in a seat assignment/gate agent mess from hell apparently the lady that ended up sitting next to my sister noticed me and asked my sister if I was pregnant. So, yay, I finally have a real belly and don't just look like I'm packing it on!

Anyway, there was a bit of family drama. It wasn't pleasant and I hope the fallout doesn't get too bad. But, eh, I'm 24 weeks pregnant and getting ready for the arrival of our son! I think Drew and I have really become aware of the reality of what the next few months will bring and we just get more and more excited.

Aloha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home